My Check Engine Light Went On
No Smithton driver wants to see a check engine light flashing, but you don’t have to panic just yet. Unlike jumping a car or running low on coolant, the check engine light can suggest a lot of different things. Find out the common causes for a check engine light blinking, and what you can do, from Auffenberg CDJR service experts.
Check Engine Light Flashing
The check engine light is generated by your car’s engine computer and may appear on your dashboard as:
- Yellow or orange in color: Make sure to check your owner’s manual as in some vehicles a yellow can indicate an issue, while red means to stop the vehicle immediately.
- Solid or flashing light: The way your light illuminates can depend on the problem.
A check engine light serves as a signal and it means something is not working properly and your vehicle needs to be checked. that’s been generated from your car’s engine computer,
Reasons Your Check Engine Light is Blinking
A check engine light flashing can be caused by a variety of triggers, from the simple to complex. Some of the top reasons for a check engine blinking include:
- Loose gas cap: Your gas cap seals and maintains pressure in your fuel system as well as preventing fumes from escaping into the atmosphere.
- Mass Airflow Sensor: A mass airflow sensor determines how much fuel is needed to run your engine efficiently by measuring the amount of air entering the engine.
- Catalytic converter: The catalytic converter converts harmful carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide to protect the environment.
- Oxygen Sensor: This sensor measures the amount of unburned oxygen in your vehicle’s exhaust system.
- Spark plug or spark plug wires: The spark plug and wires work together to create the ignition of the air/fuel combination in your vehicle’s combustion chamber.
What to Do Next
No matter what the reason, you don’t want to ignore a check engine light. This could lead to further vehicle damage or an accident if systems fail. If you see your check engine light on, make sure you:
- Check dashboard gauges and lights for evidence of a serious issue
- Tighten your gas cap
- Decrease speed and load to reduce the demand on your engine
- Diagnose your vehicle at your Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram service center.
Get Diagnosed at the Auffenberg CDJR Service Center
At Auffenberg CDJR we can use our code reader to quickly and efficiently locate the problem. In the event a repair is required, we can provide an estimate as well as look for compatible Mopar coupons and parts specials to reduce your cost. For more, check out our other helpful guides that include a low-down on car maintenance schedules, what it means when your car shakes as you brake, the dangers of not changing your oil, and how to check transmission fluid levels. Then, stop by our O'Fallon location to get your vehicle checked today!
More From Our Service Department
New InventoryContact Us The latest updates to our model lineup include the newest rendition of Uconnect, Uconnect 8.4, which is complete with an 8.4-inch touchscreen, Android Auto, and Apple CarPlay smartphone integration. Whether asking Siri for help is second nature or you’re just getting used to using a smartphone, Android Auto and Apple…
If you’ve ever asked yourself “what is coolant?,” you’re not alone. Many drivers know it’s important — like their oil or their battery — but not much else. Auffenberg CDJR is here to break down the whats and whys of coolant, including how to check your coolant levels and when to change coolant. Schedule Service What…
No Smithton driver wants to see a check engine light flashing, but you don’t have to panic just yet. Unlike jumping a car or running low on coolant, the check engine light can suggest a lot of different things. Find out the common causes for a check engine light blinking, and what you can do,…